Friday, May 15, 2009

An evening with Neil and the boys.

I've been raving about Clutch shows ever since my first show way back when. So finally I convinced Cara to go with me and share the experience the next time. They didn't come through KC on this tour. They came to Des Moines, IA, Columbia, MO, and Wichita, KS. So anyway I looked at it, it was about a 3 hour drive from here. I was determined to go to a Clutch show and I was going to make sure Cara was going with me. We decided to hit the Des Moines show on Wednesday. She was sold when I told her we could get a bed and breakfast to stay in rather than drive back. We got to Iowa about 6pm. Found the B&B and got checked in. Went to find where the concert was at then went to find something to eat. That proved harder than we thought. All the downtown restaurants must cater to the 9-5 crowd because everything was closed, even Burger King! So we drove around Des Moines and finally found a Fazoli's about 15 miles from where downtown was. The concert started at 7 but we didn't make it till about 8:30. I wasn't really upset if I missed the first 2 bands. We got there and Wino was finishing up his set. Wino is just a guy and his guitar. He had a pretty good sound and played a guitar like nobody's business. Next up was Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. They are a loud, fast, metal band. Just what I like, screaming, fast music, that nobody but a true fan understands. I knew Cara didn't care for it to much. It was amazing how their set started. They all came out and started throwing down and all head banging in sequence. All of their hair going in the same pattern was mesmerizing. After their set Clutch came on and shut the place down. They had a great set and a great set list. They played my favorite songs, some songs I've heard a few times, and a couple new songs off their new album due out in July. It was a good show with just the right amount of jam session that I have come to know and love from Clutch. In all it was a great show and a great night. Perfect adult getaway for me and my wonderful wife. The People's Court was a great place to catch a show as well. And it was a non smoking bar, which was perfect. The show seems so much better w/o the smoke. Maybe that is why Clutch didn't play KC this year. Last year was at the Beaumont and it was a smoke sauna. So hopefully next time they come back they will come closer to KC. Who's going with me?

Brad

Here is the setlist for the Clutch fans reading this.
Gravel Road
Power Player
The Yeti
Slowhole to China
Child of the City
The Incomparable Mr. Flannery
Burning Beard
Abraham Lincoln (new song)
Escape from the prison planet
I Have the Body of John Wilkes Booth
50000 unstoppable watts (new song)
Mice and gods
Mob goes wild
Cypress Grove
Whites ferry
Electric Worry/One eye $ (they meshed into One Eye $)

Encore
Red Horse Rainbows With Wino

I forgot to add that Wino came out and played the encore. I heard that is the first time on this tour that he has done that. Red Horse Rainbows sounded really good and different with Wino's guitar mixed in.

No comments: